11.30.2009

Ode to the "Okra" Tree

















These photos are of my okra that grew in my garden. I planted 6 seeds back in April 2009 and they just sat there no more than 6" tall. So many times I wanted to pull the plants up thinking with extreme triple digit temperatures and drought, these plants were done in, but I just left them in the garden. What would I loose. Anyway I think that when we finally got cooler temperatures and rain in September the chicken manure just really made these veggies take off. We lovingly knicknamed them our Okra trees since the stems were the size of tree trunks and grew to over 6'6" tall, not to mention the chickens would seek shelter from the hot sun underneath.


"Ode to the Okra Tree"

Oh okra tree how tall you grew
Not that anyone would guess, no one knew

That such a small beginning from a seed
No taller for months than a weed.

Then one day how tall you would get
Even the chickens were found sitting under it.

You provided much needed relief
Not only food to eat, but humor to lookers in total disbelief.

Now sadly the day has come around
When it was time to dig you out of the ground.

So for now good bye, you served this gardener's family well
Next year when I plant some of your seeds again, how they will grow no one can tell.
Until next time. Happy gardening.
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment