2.27.2010

Spring Is In The Air

Gardens can be so restorative, especially when you are under the weather. Today I am trying to get over a very nasty cold and decided sitting outside in the garden was just what the doctor ordered. I have to take advantage of days like these when I can.

For it is hard to believe just four days ago, we had about 4" of snow covering the garden. With everything so white and the temperature so cold, Spring time seemed so far away. Today is another story, the temperatures are much warmer, the sun is shining and there is evidence of new growth on some of my plants like the rose bushes.

It was fun imagining what some of the wildflowers will look like, for now all I see are the green leaves. How good the potatoes and onions will taste in a few months. What delicious recipes I can find to cook other vegetables that will come in season. I really hope that I can have an abundance this year of produce that I can preserve and last through the winter months, for it was no fun having to eat frozen veggies like squash, yuck. There was absolutely no taste and the texture was mushy to boot.

Until next time, enjoy the garden and all the joy it can give.
blessings,
laurie

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't wait for the spring flowers so I changed my homepage for iGoogle to wildflowers. When will it be time to trim back my roses. I'm hoping for a warmer day tomorrow or next weekend but am I too late already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Texas it is best to prune your hybrid rose bushes twice a year. Feb 14 and Aug 14th are the rule of thumb, but now is not too late. Make sure you get all of the old dead cane off and leave a vase shape with the branches having air for the leaves to breath. When the weather in the Spring is damp, leaf diseases are a problem if they cannot dry off quickly in the warm morning sunshine.

    Also, another tip: to fertilize your newly pruned roses go to your local Starbuck Coffee shop. They have the used grounds for gardeners sacked up ready to go. Just heavily pour the coffee grounds around the base of the roses on a regular basis. You will have beautiful blooms and fireants will be a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete