4.28.2011

Trials of a Texas Gardener

Right now where I live in Central Texas we are in a Exceptional drought. One of my new mantras is, "You can't be faint of heart to be a gardener in Texas."  between no rainfall an the constant winds and pests that threaten to destroy my garden plants I want to encourage everyone not to lose heart for doing good.

This is what I am doing in my own garden to help insure a harvest: Mulch heavily your beds, water in a way that goes to the plants roots and not evaporates into the air, feed your plants with good nutrients and try to catch any problems early.  Most importantly pray God has favor on us gardeners and farmers.

Here are some websites to help you in your garden and if you are blessed to have more than enough produce this year enable you to donate to local food pantries.
www.ampleharvest.com
www.homefarming.com
www.feedingamerica.org
www.local.com

I would love to hear what you are doing to have a successful garden this year.  Write a comment to share.
Until next time.
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment