4.11.2009

Building a gravel garden pathway








I originally ordered 1 ton of pea gravel, but realized I would need 2 more tons. You will also need landscape paper. I used the 3'x120' rolls. The square foot area of the total garden pathways is 800'. Inexpensive black garbage bags are great for filling in the gap between the raised bed boards and the landscape paper, the area between my beds are 4' and the paper is only 3' wide.

Also, a regular household staple gun. It is used to staple the paper/and or garbage liners to the boards before dumping the gravel on top. Another note: Be sure to leave extra paper to over lap at the ends of the beds. This makes it easier to lay another layer of paper along side the exsisting row.
So now you are ready to get started building the garden pathways.. It is a laborous chore, but for myself and husband, we hope it will be well worth it now that Spring is here and the grass is growing once again. It can be a real headache mowing and edging around each raised bed.

The pea gravel I found out is deceivingly heavy. I could only muster up enough strength to load 10 shovel fulls of gravel in the wheelbarrow at a time. Then I would take it to the bed and dump on top of the paper. When I got at least 4-5 loads I would start spreading the gravel out to make a base. It took about 10 wheelbarrow loads of gravel to fill a 4'x8' area 3" in depth.
Well, I accomplished my goal for today. In a few weeks if the weather and my back co-operate I will continue the task. Check back and I will let you know how it's going.

Until next time, keep gardening but take some time to enjoy the fruits of your hard labor.

Blessings,
Laurie




No comments:

Post a Comment