4.18.2009

Big Chicks; Little Chicks and a Few Too Many Cats

We got 8 new little chicks a few weeks ago. They are growing so quickly. Their fluff is now almost gone and their adult feathers are filling out nicely.
I thought today with all of the much needed rain, we got over 3" in my area, that they were going to have to grow some webbed feet. So that for the rain, but also grateful the ground is quickly soaking it up.

The chicks typically share the pen with 7 other hens, and our rooster, "Big Boy." Can't believe at this time last year they were just little chicks.
But their first night here on the farm, Diva, our very mischievous cat, had other ideas. I was so proud of myself, telling my cautious husband, that the pen was very secure. No outside intruders would be dining on my chicks.
It was my last check on them and I couldn't believe my eyes. Diva and her cohort, Huggy, were in the pen with the chicks. Not for a late night snack, but to stay warm under their heat lamp! So I spent the next hour resecuring the pen and was at last confident no intruders would be entering our pen.
Roosters can be a problem. They get very protective of the "girls" in the flock. Most of the time this rooster leaves me alone. I found that if I go into the pen without making any sudden movements, he doesn't easily get into his defensive mode. I carry a stick, but saw on a t.v. program that water meter readers carry a pop up umbrella in the color of black to fend off agressive dogs. Haven't tried it yet, but I bet this would be a good thing for roosters too.
This Rooster is a rare "Delaware" breed. The hens are a mixture of Aracanuas, Barred Rocks, Polish, New England and Rhode Island Reds, and Gold Sex Links. All the different breeds make for an interesting and colorful egg collecting, it's like Easter every day.
Can't wait to get my garden paths finished and a fence around the perimeter. I will then be letting the chickens free range to help with insect and critter control. I think every farm and gardener could benefit from a flock of chickens. If you don't have some now, I hope you will soon.

Blessings,

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment